Traditional Journalism has been overtaken by data driven practices. With a world increasingly driven by data, knowledge of data and skills to handle data have become increasingly important for journalists. This course will empower you with the skills to understand, use, and report data accurately and ethically.
This course will empower you with the skills to understand, use, and report data accurately and ethically. With a world increasingly driven by data, knowledge of data and skills to handle data have become increasingly important for journalists. Journalist must brace up with the modern days development to remain relevant in the profession.
After completing this course, you will improve your data literacy and have the foundational knowledge and skills to use data for journalism.
- Identify data sources and use tools to collect data for reporting
- Apply FOI techniques in your own practice
- Identify basic errors in data and prepare data for analysis
- Improve your understanding of data and skills to present data
- Improve knowledge of data journalism
- Improve, evaluate and reflect on ethical practices of using data for journalism
- Investigative Journalism and Data
- Data journalism
- Data collection
- Freedom of Information (FOI) application skills
- Data cleaning and analysis
- Understanding data
- Presenting data
- Data ethics and regulations
- identify basic errors in data, prepare data for analysis,
- Generating break news from public data
- Extracting news form Social Media
Course Duration: Two months. 100% attendance is required to pass this course.
Method of delivery: Blended learning. Emphasis will be on the number of investigative reports and breaking news stories generated from data. Individual students projects.
Course fee: N30,000
Course start date: on a rolling basis, please apply online and we will get back to you on the nearest course start date.
Certification: Successfully student will be awarded Professional Certificate from the British Transatlantic Polytechnic.